Repairs to your property

How we deal with repairs

We have four response times for dealing with repairs depending on the urgency.  They are as follows:

  1. Emergency repairs are dealt with within 24 hours

  2. Urgent repairs within 5 working days

  3. Essential repairs within 15 working days

  4. Routine repairs within 30 working days

Please note that where a repair has been classed as routine, we aim to carry these out as quickly as possible within the 30 working day timescale.

Please report any defects (new build properties) as usual.

Please note, however, defects are dealt as:

Emergency repairs – within 24 hours

Routine – within 30 working days.

If your repair is an emergency, during office hours, you should always call our main number 01904 636061. Outside of office hours an emergency should be reported to our Out of Hours Team on 0845 601 5676.
By ringing our office on 01904 636061 during office hours. Outside office hours you can leave a message on our answerphone.

For non-emergency repairs, you can report these online.

Simply log in or register here. 


Once you’ve registered, it’s the quickest and easiest way to report a repair.

Whenever you report a repair please make sure that you give us as much information as you can about the repair that needs doing.

When reporting a repair, it is very helpful if you can provide as much information as possible including exact details of the repair, contact numbers and when you will be at home.

When you call it may be useful to refer to the Handy Hints for Householder booklet which we issue to all tenants. 

We will ask you:

What is the problem?

Where is it?

When did it start?

What is happening now?

If you smell gas

If you smell gas or suspect there may be a gas leak, you should immediately call the National Gas Emergency Service on Freephone 0800 111 999. 

Gas Servicing in your home


We are responsible for carrying out an annual gas service in our customers’ homes.


By law, a qualified Gas Safe Registered engineer must visit rented homes every year to service appliances such as gas boilers and gas fires.


We send letters to our customers with an appointment for an engineer to visit your home and complete the gas safety check free of charge.


The checks are essential as they make sure that the appliances are working properly and they’re safe for you and your family.  When it’s complete, we give you a copy of the gas safety certificate so you can be sure that the check has been done.



Benefits of annual gas service for you and your family


A regularly service boiler is less likely to break down and leave you with no heating or hot water.  If your boiler is serviced every year, it will run more efficiently and you could save money on your energy bills.



Keeping your appointment


It is important that you keep the appointment in the letter we send you.


Please make sure there’s someone at home on the appointment date so our engineer can carry out the checks.


If your appointment isn’t convenient, please let us know as soon as possible by contacting us.



Your responsibilities


If you own any gas appliance such as a gas cooker, you are responsible for its maintenance.  However, during the gas safety check, if our engineer thinks the appliance is unsafe, they might disconnect it.


You can get more information about gas safety and carbon monoxide poisoning on the Gas Safe website.


Emergency Repairs

What is an Emergency

An emergency is any repair that is an immediate risk to safety, security or health, or which may seriously damage a property.  If you describe a repair as an emergency and it turns out to be routine, then we will charge you for the cost of the call out.


The type of repair that we would not class as an emergency is if your heating goes wrong over the weekend.  We would expect you to report this to us to be dealt with on the following Monday.  There are occasionally exceptions to this, for instance an elderly person without heating in very cold weather.

What to do in an Emergency

Please ring the out of hours emergency repairs hotline on 0845 6015676.  This will take you through to our call centre ‘Ryecare’.  Their staff are trained in how to deal with emergencies and will ask you information that will help them to determine whether it is a real emergency.  If they do not class it as an emergency, they are not authorised to send a contractor out but will take details and pass the repair on to us when our office is next open.

Sometimes emergencies are more appropriately dealt with by other companies. 


Situations where this might be the case include:


Suspected Gas Leak

Turn off the gas supply at the mains and open all windows.  Do not operate electric switches or appliances.  Do not smoke or use naked flames.  On these occasions telephone Transco immediately on 0800 111 999 and arrange to meet the gas engineer.  Notify York Housing Association.



Evacuate the property, closing all doors behind you.  Call the emergency services on 999.

Unless more urgent measures are required (see below for advice)


Examples of emergency repairs include:

  • Blocked or leaking main drain or soil pipe

  • Loss of gas supply

  • Total loss of cold water supply

  • Dangerous structures including wall or ceiling collapse

  • Insecure external doors and ground-floor windows


We aim to complete emergency repairs within 24 hours from the time they’re reported to us.  The timescale can depend on the type of repair needed, but our aim is to complete an emergency repair no later than the day after it is reported to us.



Helpful Information:



If all, or part of the supply fails, check your fuses.  If the fuses are not the problem, turn off the supply at the mains fuse box and ring the repairs hotline.  If there is a total power failure in the area contact your electric company.

Please note that problems with electricity is a common reason why we have to recharge tenants. In the vast majority of cases it is the fuse that has tripped so please make sure you check before phoning us to avoid receiving a bill.

Water Supply

If this fails, check the stopcock has not been turned off.  If the problem persists, turn off the water heater and phone the water authority.

Storm or Flood Damage

Telephone the repairs hotline and ask them to make the area affected safe.  Call the emergency services if there is a danger of people being seriously injured.


Notify the Police immediately and the repairs hotline if the property is no longer secure.


Repairs that we charge for

Most people treat their homes with care and respect because they want to live somewhere pleasant and comfortable. Unfortunately, some people damage their home, either deliberately or accidentally.

When repairs are needed as a result of this kind of damage, you may have to pay. If we think that someone has damaged their home, or altered it without permission, or their visitors have caused the damage, we’ll ask them to explain what’s happened.

Anyone who causes damage will have to pay to put it right. We ask for payment from people who have caused damage whether they still live in the property, or whether they’ve moved out.


Typical damage of this kind includes accidental damage to fixtures and fittings caused by attempting DIY, damage caused by anti-social behaviour such as fighting, and damage caused by the police if they’ve had to forcibly enter your home with a warrant.


If you have made an appointment with a contractor or a Property Maintenance Worker to carry out a repair and you subsequently fail to give access you will receive a bill for an abortive visit.


If there’s work that needs doing to your home when you move out, or furniture and belongings left behind, we will send you a bill to cover the cost of repairs and removal.


To avoid getting a bill:
  • report your repair

  • keep your property tidy and the garden maintained

  • don’t make any alterations without written permission from your local housing office

  • carry out small repairs that are your responsibility to a suitable standard.


When you end your tenancy:
  • take all your stuff from inside your home, your garden, and any communal areas.

  • make sure your bins are empty – don’t leave a full bin for the next tenant

  • when you hand in your keys, hand in copies of permission letters for any alterations you’ve made. If you don’t, you may be recharged for the alterations.

  • make sure you’ve given your final meter readings to gas, electricity, and water (if applicable) companies.

  • return cable or satellite TV kit to the relevant provider – you may be recharged for the removal of any old aerials that can no longer be used.


The items we recharge for most are:
  • replacing non-standard items like laminate flooring, light fittings, dimmer switches, doors, electric showers or cookers

  • unauthorised alterations

  • unauthorised patios, decking, fish ponds and structures such as sheds

  • holes in walls, ceilings and doors or door frames

  • blu-tack and sticky pads, and the marks they leave behind

  • stickers on doors and walls

  • graffiti, inside and out

  • carpets including underlay and grippers.

If you’re not sure, ask for advice at your transfer / pre-termination visit. Before you leave, make sure you’ve cleaned the bathroom, toilet and kitchen, the floors are swept and surfaces are washed down. 


Report a repair

Your questions answered

You need to pay your rent,

here is how you do it. 

Free financial advice from York Housing Association

Is your home properly insured?

Certain behaviours are unacceptable in our homes and neighbourhoods.

Maintaining your home - what you can do to help.