Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) may be able to help with some of the extra costs caused by long term ill-health or disability.

What is PIP?

Personal Independence Payments helps people aged 16 to 64 with the extra costs of disability or long-term health conditions.

PIP is a non-means tested benefit, so it doesn’t matter how much you earn or have in savings to get it.

PIP replaced Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for new claims in April 2013. DLA can still be claimed for children, and Attendance Allowance can be claimed for people ages 65 and over.

Can I claim PIP?

To claim PIP you need to be aged 16 to 64 and have a disability or long-term health condition.


To be eligible, you must:

  • Have difficulty with getting around or need help with daily tasks (or both) for three months

  • Expect to need help for at least another nine months (unless you are terminally ill with less than six months to live)

There are other conditions to making a claim for PIP, so please call us for advice or visit the GOV.UK website for information.

If you’re already claiming Disability Living Allowance (DLA), you don’t need to claim for PIP until the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) invites you to make a claim.

How much could I be entitled to?

You could receive between £22 and £141.10 a week by claiming Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

PIP is made up of two parts:

Daily living - Standard and enhanced rates for help with daily living are either £55.65 or £83.10 per week.

Mobility - Standard and enhanced rates for help with mobility are either £22 or £58 per week.

The amount you get depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself. So you might qualify for one component or both.

How do I claim PIP?

Claim by telephone

Begin your claim for PIP by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) on 0800 917 2222


Other ways to claim

You can also claim by post or by using a text relay or video relay service. Visit the GOV.UK website for more information.


What happens next
  1. If you’re eligible to make a claim, the DWP will send you a ‘How your disability affects you’ form – also known as a PIP 2 form

  2. It’s very important that you fill this form out carefully and think about each question. You need to give as much detail as possible about your disability or health condition. Contact us for advice on filling out this form and we can advise or sign-post you for support. Alternatively, the Citizens Advice website has a helpful article to help filling in your PIP claim form

  3. Once the DWP receives your form they will decide whether you need a medical assessment.
    The assessment is usually a face-to-face consultation where you’ll be asked questions about how your condition affects your daily life and your ability to carry out activities. Citizens Advice has advice on how to prepare for a PIP assessment

  4. After your assessment, you’ll receive a letter from the DWP that will tell you whether you’ll get PIP and how much it will be. Once you have your decision, please contact us. You may be eligible for more financial help or if you disagree with the decision, we can help you challenge it.

Benefits Changes

Talk to your housing officer

Universal Credit

Managing Your Money

Your questions answered

You need to pay your rent,

here is how you do it. 

Free financial advice from York Housing Association

Is your home properly insured?

Certain behaviours are unacceptable in our homes and neighbourhoods.

Maintaining your home - what you can do to help.