Ending your tenancy online
If you want to move out you must give us four weeks’ notice. You can do this in several ways.
You can contact us by phone, email, or post or by completing the form on line click here. You can also see us at our office at 2 Alpha Court, Monks Cross Drive York, YO32 9WN.
Unless you end your tenancy in person or on line we will post the termination form out for you to sign and return in the post.
Your tenancy will end on a Sunday and you must give us the keys by 12 noon the following Monday. We will make arrangements for your housing officer to visit you before your tenancy ends to discuss any queries you may have and arrange collection of the keys from you at the property. This would occur on the Monday immediately after your tenancy ends or at an earlier date if you wish to leave before your tenancy legally ends. If you leave your home without telling us, you will still be liable for four weeks rent.
FAQ's about Returning Your Keys
What do I need to do before I leave?
- You must leave your home clean, empty and in good condition. We may charge you if we have to remove any items which have been left behind. You must allow your housing officer access to inspect your home before you leave to discuss any issues and arrange for any outstanding repairs to be reported. This is called a pre-termination inspection.
- You must make sure that all fixtures and fittings are left intact. If there are any broken or missing items you may be charged for replacing them. We will use the notice period to advertise and allocate your home to the next tenant. Properties are usually advertised for letting on the Thursday following receipt of any notice.
- We will, in most cases, offer your property to someone the following week. We may also need to make arrangements for the next tenant to view your property so that they can make an informed choice. We will always make an appointment with you first if we wish to show anyone around your home.
Can I change my mind?
- If you decide not to move or if you need more time to move out, you should contact your housing officer to discuss this. Contact us on 01904 636061 and ask to speak to them.
How do I return my keys?
- At the time of the pre-termination inspection visit your housing officer will arrange a date to collect the keys from you at the property. You can contact us at any time to collect your keys before your tenancy is due to end, but you will be charged rent up to the Sunday your tenancy officially ends. You will be given a receipt showing how many keys you returned to us and the time you handed them in. If the keys are not returned on time or there are any keys missing, we will charge you for changing the locks and for any rent lost during this time.
What do I do on moving day?
- You must supply your gas, electricity and water meter readings to your suppliers to make sure your final bill is accurate
- You must inform your Local Authority’s Council Tax and Benefits section or Jobcentre Plus (if applicable) that you are moving and your forwarding address as this may affect Housing Benefit or Universal Credit claims
- Hand over all keys to your housing officer
- Leave your home clean, tidy and empty
- Leave your garden free from rubbish, greenhouses and/or sheds