Domestic Abuse

If you are in immediate danger, please call 999, ask for the Police

How York Housing can help you

Your call will be dealt with confidentially and sensitively; you do not have to face your problems alone.

We are committed to acting quickly, effectively and sympathetically to anyone who is experiencing domestic abuse. We will respond in a sensitive and supportive manner and anything you tell us will be treated in the strictest of confidence.

If you need help or advice, talk to your housing officer

Call 01904 636061


What is domestic abuse?

It can affect all members of the community regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, or religion.

Every person has the right to live their life free from violence, fear, abuse or neglect. We recognise the fears of those suffering from domestic violence; and we want to help those suffering from it to be able to seek help.

In an emergency always dial 999 for immediate help, at other times dial 101 and ask for the crime desk.

YHA will:

  • Never disclose your personal details

  • Keep all of our responsibilities to you as a tenant

  • Offer support and advice

  • Offer same-sex/safe place interviews

  • Discuss relevant organisations that provide long-term emotional outreach support when/if you require it

  • Be sensitive and understanding when discussing your housing options

  • React quickly and effectively to make sure you are safe

  • Take relevant action against those who are responsible for domestic abuse using the conditions of our tenancy agreements

  • Give you advice and practicable help with your tenancy and other issues

  • Provide additional security measures to your property if you need them, or if it is appropriate to do so.

Domestic Abuse and Young People

For information on keeping children safe and identifying the signs of domestic abuse visit the NSPCC website.


Where you can get help

Here are some organisations websites and telephone numbers that may be able to help you. If you are unsure which one is suitable to you, call you Housing Officer for advice.

Disrespect Nobody


Safe Lives

National Centre for Domestic Violence

Solace Women’s Aid

Woman’s Trust

Southall Black Sisters

Action on Elder Abuse

National Domestic Violence Helpline 

Freephone 0808 2000 247 

Ran by the Refuge and Women’s Aid (24 hours a day, 365 days a year)


Telephone ChildLine free (the number doesn’t show up on phone bills) on 0800 11 11. 

This is a private and confidential service for children and young people up to the age of 19. You can contact a ChildLine counsellor about anything- no problem is too big or too small.

Broken Rainbow National Helpline – LGBT

Telephone 0300 999 5428

Provides services to lesbian, gay, bisexual and Trans (LGBT) people who are experiencing domestic abuse.

Respect- Support for perpetrators of Domestic Abuse

Telephone on 0808 802 4040

Confidential information and advice to help perpetrators stop their violence and change their abusive behaviours.

Women’s Aid

Telephone on 0808 2000 247

The national 24hour domestic violence helpline.

The Hideout

Women’s Aid has created this space to help children and young people to understand domestic abuse and how to take positive action.

Victim Support (National)

Telephone on 0845 303 0900

Victims do not have to contact the police to access the service. Any advice/support will be totally confidential.


Telephone on 0808 801 0327

A confidential helpline to support male victims of domestic abuse.


Telephone on 01823 334244

A confidential helpline is available for all men across the UK suffering from domestic violence or domestic abuse by their current or former wife or partner (including same-sex partner).

National Stalking Helpline

Telephone: 0808 802 0300

The national stalking network has been established by Network for Surviving Stalking, Protection against Stalking and the Suzy Lamplugh Trust. It is the first national helpline to specialise in providing information and advice to victims of harassment and stalking as well as their friends and family.

Clare's Law - the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme

The Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme, known as Clare's Law gives you a formal mechanism to make inquiries:
- if you are concerned that your partner may pose a risk to you
- if you're concerned that the partner of a member of your family or a friend may pose a risk to that individual.


The scheme allows the police to disclose information about a partner's previous history of domestic violence or violent acts. To find out more about Clare's Law and information on how to make an application visit Clare's Law - the domestic violence disclosure scheme.


If you need help or advice, talk to your housing officer

Call 01904 636061

Keep up to date with your rent.

Report repairs or issues you may have.

Find a home to rent or buy

"They would have to buy a magic wand and wave it around to make things any better. I just can't fault the service I receive. I am a very satisfied resident."

Mr A from York