York Housing Association

Applying for Accommodation

York Housing Association (YHA) is responsible for the allocation of accommodation to over 650 rented properties. The majority of these general needs properties are based in the York area, whilst outside of the York area there are also properties in Rothwell, Leeds (82 units); Beverley, East Yorkshire; Whitby and Norton.

There are several ways that we allocate our properties:

  • From applicants nominated to us by the local authority partners that we work with (usually as a result of a person bidding through a Choice Based Lettings scheme).
  • From applicants referred by other agencies for supported or student housing.
  • To existing YHA tenants who would like to transfer to another property.
  • To applicants who want to move towards ownership of a new property (but first need to rent whilst they save for a deposit) and who are nominated by the North Yorkshire HomeBuy agent my4walls (www.my4walls.co.uk )

Rented Housing

The majority of our housing is allocated through two Choice Based Lettings schemes which run in North Yorkshire  (www.northyorkshirehomechoice.org.uk) and Leeds (http://www.leedshomes.org.uk).

Choice Based Lettings schemes have been in operation in Leeds for over a decade and in York since July 2011. Applicants for social housing register their details, and once accepted onto the scheme, are able to place bids (either online or by telephone) for vacant properties which are advertised on a website.

Once the winning bidder is determined, the household are nominated to YHA by the local authority. Because we do not maintain our own waiting list, then for more details on how to register on one of these Choice Based Lettings schemes, please follow the website links above.  In Beverley, East Yorkshire we let our homes to people nominated by the local authority.

We also provide supported housing for people with special needs, such as homeless households, people with mental health problems, learning disabilities, single vulnerable women, housing for younger people and extra care housing for elderly people who need care and support to live independently.  These properties are located in York and Scarborough. These properties are allocated to us through referrals or nominations direct from the local authority or other statutory health partners (and these properties are not therefore advertised through North Yorkshire HomeChoice choice based lettings scheme). For more information on how to be referred or nominated to any of the above supported housing schemes please contact a member of the support team on 01904 636061.

For a copy of our Allocations Policy please click here.

Agency Housing

We also work with a number of local and national voluntary organisations and agencies who provide 24 hour care supported housing for people with disabilities who are not able to live independently.  The majority of the properties are in York, but we have some in the East Riding, Scarborough, Malton and Ripon.  If you would like more information about these properties please contact us on 01904 636061 and we can provide you with the contact details of the relevant agencies.

Student Housing       

We have family accomondation for full time registered mature students at the University of York, and these are located in Heslington, York. Applications for this housing are made direct through the University of York Accommodation Service. (http://www.york.ac.uk/about/departments/support-and-admin/accommodation

Shared Housing        

We have a limited number of rooms in shared houses where the tenants make use of shared kitchen and bathroom facilities. These properties are not advertised on North Yorkshire HomeChoice and we maintain a waiting list of people interested in these vacancies. If you are interested in shared housing then please contact us on 01904 636061 or you can download an application form here.

Homeownership Options

Since 2011 the Association has been working with the North Yorkshire home buy agent my4walls (www.my4walls.co.uk) to provide properties which are available to households looking to make the first step on the home ownership ladder through shared ownership and other affordable home ownership options. If you are interested in other home ownership options in North Yorkshire and York then please contact our sales team or visit the my4walls website.

Moving to another home

Transferring Properties

We have an internal transfer list for current tenants wishing to move to another of our properties.  You would need to complete an internal application form, together with any supporting documents, for example a letter from your doctor supporting a move.  For further information please contact your Housing Officer. 

Mutual Exchanges

Another way to move homes is to do a mutual exchange, with either another housing association tenant, or a tenant of a local authority. This is effectively a tenancy swap and to help our existing tenants we have paid for you to advertise your swap on a national website (www.homeswapper.co.uk). Simply go to this website, enter your details, and once verified with us, your property will be advertised and you can search for other swaps. Remember that you cannot do a mutual exchange until this has been formally approved by York Housing Association.

In addition your local council offices sometimes have a noticeboard advertising people who are looking to do an exchange. 

Who to contact?

If you are in housing need and wish to apply for single, family or sheltered housing with York Housing Association then you will need to first register with the local Choice Based Lettings Scheme or with your local authority in Beverley.

For York and North Yorkshire please go to:


For Rothwell, Leeds please go to:


For student accommodation please contact our Housing Management team on 01904 636061 or the University of York website.

For any of our supported housing including information on how to access please contact the Supported Housing team on 01904 6360061.

Text sizeNormal textLarge textExtra large text


customer feedback ask for a translation